Who Am I and What Do I Care About?
I’m the Badass Grandma, that’s who! I’m kind and loving and reassuring and wise, but I’m also a rabid honey badger when it comes to protecting my grandbabies. I care so deeply about their happiness and personal safety that I’ve written two books for their parents to help them teach my grandchildren how to avoid and deal with dangerous people.
I did it for you and your children too. In my 30 years as a victim advocate, I’ve seen too many godawful cases of violence and abuse toward children and I simply couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t do everything in my power to stop it.
Let’s face it, as long as there are people on the planet, there will be predators among them. But there’s SO much you can do to keep your child safe from them, which I cover in my Badass Parenting book and upcoming video series.
Did you know that confidence and self-esteem are the most effective predator repellants? And that you can teach your child to BE more confident and self-assured? Well, you can, and I teach you how.
What I Care About
I passionately believe that only love can overcome hatred and negativity. This awareness was hard-won after decades spent drowning in anger and victim thinking over the abuse I suffered. I felt like life was happening TO me and that other people held power over me.
Then one day I realized that hating and resenting my abusers was like drinking poison and waiting for them to die. I was the one who was suffering as a result. I saw that harboring anger toward them was continuing to give them power over me. Eventually, I grew tired of renting space to them in my head, so I kicked their asses out!
The Power to Choose
I learned that literally every second I have the power to choose my experience. This was a huge revelation and it took courage to accept this as truth because it meant that from that moment on I had to accept complete responsibility for everything in my life—from my thoughts to my emotions to my actions.
As daunting as this realization was, it was also tremendously liberating! Now, for the first time, I held the “magic wand” that would grant any wish I desired. The trick was, I learned, that my intentions had to be in alignment with my integrity and values for the wand to work. You can’t fool the Universe, so when my intentions were driven by ego and self-cherishing, my desires were inevitably thwarted, and I experienced frustration. But when my choices were made with a generous and grateful heart, I almost always got the result I desired—or better!
It’s been said that the Universe has one of three answers to every request—”Yes,” “Not yet,” or “I have something better in mind.” Sometimes that “something better” initially looks like the opposite of what we wanted; it may even look like the end of the world as we know it. But what I also learned is that every experience (and person!) is a teacher, and holds a gift for us in its hands, if only we have the heart and eyes to see it.
How Can I Serve You Today?
My work, my passion, my life is devoted helping others find personal peace and joy—particularly parents, children, and survivors of violence and abuse. I’ve found that living an authentic life, by loving our Selves and others, is the path.
Here are some of the ways I can help you:
- My awesome new book. Badass Parenting: Prepare Your Kids to Deal with Danger without Scaring the Hell Out of Them (to be released this Spring), helps parents teach younger children how to avoid and handle themselves in dangerous situations ranging from bullying and digital dangers to sexual abuse, sex trafficking, and kidnapping. After reading this book, you’ll feel more knowledgeable and confident in your ability to talk candidly with your child at her age and maturity level without scaring her to death. Snarky, funny, and irreverent, this unputdownable book (with TONS of downloaded bonus content!) is the new bible for parents looking to raise safe, savvy, confident kids.
- My award-winner. The Badass Girl’s Guide: Uncommon Strategies to Outwit Predators for women and girls is all about claiming your power to protect and defend yourself from violence. In the guide I cover everything from how predators groom their victims to how to out-think, out-talk, and out-fight them; all the way to how to navigate the criminal justice process and deal with the trauma.
- My very first book. Neptune’s Gift: Discovering Your Inner Ocean, is about the life lessons I learned when I was working to overcome a terminal medical prognosis. An allegorical tale likened to the bestselling Jonathan Livingston Seagull, it’s a quick read and I recommend it for every spiritual seeker. It’s especially great for kids of all ages who enjoy the colorful sea creatures that share their wisdom throughout the book.
- Personal coaching. I am a certified professional coach and work with a very limited number of clients who need someone to hold up a mirror to reflect their divine nature and act as a guide along the path as they work to find their true purpose.
- Safety Vlog. I have produced vlogs (video blogs) that show some of the self-defense moves I suggest in The Badass Girl’s Guide. I’ll continue adding personal empowerment videos, as well as candid videos of my personal take on current events and other topics. Visit my Blog page to watch the videos.
- Cool Sh*t. This page features inspirational content, as well as a list of books that have inspired, comforted, educated, and/or entertained me over the years. You’ll also find cool and creative parenting hacks you can use to manage your kids and keep your sanity.
- Resources. Here you’ll learn about organizations that can help you with a variety of challenges. Plus, if you or someone you care about has experienced any form of violence or abuse, you’ll find a list of helpful resources on my Resources page.
I genuinely wish to be of service to you. Just let me know what you need and if I can’t help you, I’ll find someone who can. Thanks for reading. Peace! CJ
10 Fun Facts about Me
- My first “real” job was as a roller-skating carhop at a Sonic drive-in.
- I was kicked out of Mrs. Witherspoon’s business class in 1978 for being “impudent” after declaring I was going to be President of the United States when asked what my plans were after graduation.
- I once entered a Rodeo Queen contest on a dare, having ridden a horse only one time before that. I won third place (out of three contestants).
- I fought fires for the U.S. Forest Service and planted tens of thousands of trees in the mountains of Arkansas and Oklahoma.
- I stood on the skids of a Huey helicopter and shot a Gatling gun while screaming like a banshee when I served as a Marine Corps photojournalist.
- On my first day on the job in the Marines, I stopped a war. Seriously! (Okay, it was just a joint Navy-Marine Corps military exercise, but I stopped it nonetheless by calling for a “cease fire” when I was escorting a news crew that wanted to get a shot of the machine gunners. Hey! How was I supposed to know they were firing blanks?)
- I dated one of the Iranian hostages (after he was released from captivity).
- I was named one of the “Happy 100” people on the planet!
- Not surprisingly, I was selected as Miss Optimist by the Optimist Club in 1976.
- My story of triumph over adversity is featured in two bestselling books, Happy for No Reason and Be Invincible.