What I Care About
If you looked over my home page, you know I passionately believe that only love can overcome hatred and negativity. This awareness was hard-won after decades spent drowning in anger and victim thinking. I felt like life was happening TO me and that other people held power over me.
One day I realized that hating and resenting my abusers was like drinking poison and waiting for them to die. I was the one who was suffering as a result. I saw that harboring anger toward them was continuing to give them power over me. Eventually, I grew tired of renting space to them in my head, so I kicked their asses out!
The Power to Choose
I learned that literally every second I have the power to choose my experience. This was a huge revelation and it took courage to accept this as truth because it meant that from that moment on I had to accept complete responsibility for everything in my life—from my thoughts to my emotions to my actions.
As daunting as this realization was, it was also tremendously liberating! Now, for the first time, I held the “magic wand” that would grant any wish I desired. The trick was, I learned, that my intentions had to be in alignment with my integrity and values for the wand to work. You can’t fool the Universe, so when my intentions were driven by ego and self-cherishing, my desires were inevitably thwarted and I experienced frustration. But when my choices were made with a generous and grateful heart, I almost always got the result I desired—or better!
It’s been said that the Universe has one of three answers to every request—”Yes,” “Not yet,” or “I have something better in mind.” Sometimes that “something better” initially looks like the opposite of what we wanted; it may even look like the end of the world as we know it. But what I also learned is that every experience (and person!) is a teacher, and holds a gift for us in its hands, if only we have the heart and eyes to see it.
How Can I Serve You Today?
My work, my passion, my life is devoted helping others, particularly survivors of violence and abuse, find personal peace and joy. I’ve found that living an authentic life—by loving our Selves and others—is the path. I don’t have all the answers, but this much I know: you CAN be the change you wish to see in the world.
Here are some of the ways I can help you do that:
- My first book. Neptune’s Gift: Discovering Your Inner Ocean, is about the life lessons I learned when I was working to overcome my terminal prognosis. An allegorical tale likened to the bestselling Jonathan Livingston Seagull, it’s a quick read and I recommend it for every spiritual seeker. It’s especially great for kids of all ages who enjoy the colorful sea creatures that share their wisdom throughout the book.
- My new book. The Badass Girl’s Guide: Uncommon Strategies to Outwit Predators, is all about claiming your power to protect and defend yourself from violence. In the guide I cover everything from how predators groom their victims to how to out-think, out-talk, and out-fight them; all the way to how to navigate the criminal justice process and deal with the trauma. For every book sold, I donate one copy to a rape crisis center or domestic violence shelter.
- My keynote, panel, and workshop presentations. I’ve presented at countless local, national, and international venues and would love to talk with you about appearing at your next event. Reach out to me through my Contact page to learn more.
- My personal coaching. I am a certified professional coach and work with a very limited number of clients who need someone to hold up a mirror to reflect their divine nature and act as a guide along the path as they work to find their true purpose.
- My vlog. I have produced vlogs (video blogs) that show some of the self-defense moves I suggest in The Badass Girl’s Guide. I will continue adding personal empowerment videos, as well as candid videos of my personal take on current events and other topics. Visit my Vlog page to watch the videos.
- Attitude Adjusters. This fun page features inspirational posts from my @cjscarletauthor Facebook feed, as well as a list of books that have inspired, comforted, educated, and/or entertained me over the years. Visit the Attitude Adjusters page to check them out!
- List of Friends and Resources. Here you’ll learn about people who can help you with a variety of challenges. Plus, if you or someone you care about is or has experienced any form of violence or abuse, you’ll find a list of helpful resources on my Friends & Resources page.
I genuinely wish to be of service to you. Just let me know what you need and if I can’t help you, I’ll find someone who can. Thank you for reading. Peace! CJ
10 Fun Facts about Me
- My first real job was as a roller-skating carhop at Sonic.
- I was kicked out of Mrs. Witherspoon’s business class in 1979 for being “impudent” after declaring I was going to be President of the United States when asked what my plans were after graduation.
- I once entered a Rodeo Queen contest on a dare, having ridden a horse only one time before that. I won third place (out of three contestants).
- I fought fires for the U.S. Forest Service and planted tens of thousands of trees in the mountains of Arkansas and Oklahoma.
- I stood on the skids of a Huey helicopter and shot a Gatling gun while screaming like a banshee when I served as a Marine Corps photojournalist.
- On my first day on the job in the Marines, I stopped a war. Seriously! (Okay, it was just a joint Navy-Marine Corps military exercise, but I stopped it nonetheless by calling for a “cease fire” when I was escorting a news crew that wanted to get a shot of the machine gunners. Hey! How was I supposed to know they were firing blanks?)
- I dated one of the Iranian hostages (after he was released from captivity).
- I was named one of the “Happy 100” people on the planet!
- Not surprisingly, I was selected as Miss Optimist by the Optimist Club in 1976.
- My story of triumph over adversity is featured in two bestselling books, Happy for No Reason and Be Invincible.